KPK Names Six Suspects in Unsoed Independent Admissions Case

KPK Names Six Suspects in Unsoed Independent Admissions Case
KPK conducts a sting operation at Unsoed. (AI-generated)

Purwokerto, ern.SERU.co.id – Allegations of extortion and gratification in the independent admissions pathway at Universitas Jenderal Soedirman (Unsoed) have revealed quota arrangements and multimillion-rupiah payments. Indonesia’s Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has named six suspects and identified three clusters of cases, including a request for Rp650 million and the receipt of Rp1.12 billion in payments. The Ombudsman of the Republic of Indonesia has stressed the need for greater transparency and oversight in university independent selection processes.

Acting KPK Investigation Director Achmad Taufik Husein said the case centers on new student admissions through the independent pathway, particularly at the Faculty of Medicine. Investigators found at least three patterns of alleged misconduct: extortion of parents of prospective students, acceptance of gratification during the 2025–2026 selection periods and bargaining over payments for places.

Read More

The KPK has outlined the structure of the case and named six suspects:

  1. Akhmad Sodiq, Rector of Unsoed
  2. Norman Arie Prayoga, Vice Rector III of Unsoed
  3. Eko Sumanto, Head of the Academic Affairs Division at Unsoed
  4. Dian Mulia Wardhana, a private individual
  5. Adhi Wiharto, a private individual
  6. Mulyono, a private individual and nephew of Akhmad Sodiq

One key finding is the alleged arrangement of a special quota for independent-pathway admissions to the Faculty of Medicine. Of around 245 places available through that pathway, 73 were allegedly set aside by the suspects to be managed in exchange for payments, Taufik said, quoting a report on Saturday (August 22, 2026).

The KPK is still examining how the quota calculations were made and which prospective students were placed on the list.

Parents asked for Rp650 million, but the student did not pass

The first cluster involves alleged extortion of parents of prospective Faculty of Medicine students. In August 2026, Vice Rector III Norman Arie Prayoga is alleged to have instructed Dian Mulia Wardhana and Adhi Wiharto to demand Rp650 million from parents, promising that their children would be accepted through the independent pathway. The request was reportedly made with the knowledge of Rector Akhmad Sodiq. Dian and Adhi then approached the parents and collected the money.

Problems arose when the prospective student who had paid Rp650 million was not declared successful. The parents asked for a refund, but the money had already been spent by the two intermediaries and could not be returned immediately.

“This means the money given by the parents had already been used by DMW and AW themselves,” Taufik said.

The refund issue was reported to Norman. With Sodiq’s knowledge, Norman is alleged to have borrowed money from private parties to cover the obligation. The repayment was then linked to several projects at Unsoed. The KPK identified three work packages promised as a means of settling the debt: canopy procurement, canteen renovation and building painting.

Coded instruction not to ask upfront

The second practice relates to independent-pathway selections in 2025 and 2026. The KPK said Akhmad Sodiq gave Mulyono a coded instruction: do not ask at the beginning; if something is given, say thank you. Investigators believe the message related to receiving money from prospective students or their parents. With Sodiq’s knowledge, Mulyono is alleged to have received at least Rp680 million.

Sodiq is further alleged to have instructed Mulyono to use the money to buy three plots of land, which were then registered in Mulyono’s name.

Bargaining over payments

The third cluster shows a different pattern. Eko Sumanto, Head of Academic Affairs at Unsoed, is alleged to have communicated with individuals the KPK described as collectors of prospective new students. The discussions developed into negotiations over the size of payments required for entry through the independent pathway. According to the KPK, Eko conducted these negotiations with Sodiq’s knowledge.

After agreements were reached, Eko is alleged to have received a total of Rp1.12 billion from one of the collectors during the 2025–2026 period. Sodiq is said to have then given Eko access to his user ID, which was used to approve the prospective students who had made payments.

Read Also:

KPK Arrests Unsoed Rector and Two Vice Rectors in Bribery Sting

Ombudsman calls for transparency in independent selection

Ombudsman RI member Nuzran Joher noted that independent-pathway selection falls under the internal authority of higher education institutions. That authority, however, must still be exercised according to clear and accountable service standards.

“The public needs to know from the outset the various components of the service, including requirements, selection timelines, details of official fees charged, the selection process flow, announcement of results, and where they can report if they encounter irregularities,” Nuzran said, according to the Ombudsman RI website.

The Ombudsman has called on the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology to evaluate the regulations and governance systems for new student admissions. Universities have also been urged to strengthen internal oversight so that authority over admissions is not misused. (aan/mzm)

Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *